Christopher McEniry @macmceniry cmceniry at mit DOT edu http://blog.corgalabs.com/
Sony Interactive Entertainment (August 2010 - Present)
- Responsible for overall operations technology and architecture direction for SIE hosted platforms.
- Major projects:
- Standing up new data center and operations organization
- Transition 3 major Sony hosting groups into a new data center and operational group
- Host newly spun Security Center for multiple Sony groups
- PCI Compliance for a Level 1 Merchant
- Recovery of a Major Sony E-commerce Platform after a significant security breach
- Initial Disaster Recovery Plan for a Major Sony E-commerce Platform
- $10M Network and Infrastructure Redesign to Counteract $25M+ in losses
- Tooling for Operations in Python, Ruby, and Go
- Work with multiple development teams for:
- Understanding and transitioning existing services
- Fitting new services into network architecture
- Designing operational processes for new services
- Day-to-day troubleshooting of all services
- Work with multiple operational handoff models
- Separation of role responsibility
- Embedded in scrum team
- Service oriented (PaaS) delivery
- Architecting and/or implementing multiple technology solutions for several support organizations:
- Server: HP blade and racks, Dell rack servers
- Storage: NetApp, Clariion, Isilon, DataDomain, VMAX, VNX
- Networking: Cisco Nexus and Catalyst switching, Cisco ASA and Juniper SRX firewalling, F5 load balancing
- OS: RHEL Linux, Windows (2K3, 2K8 server), OEL
- Application Middleware: Apache httpd, Apache Tomcat, PHP
- Database: MySQL, Oracle (including Exadata)
- Other Datastores: Cassandra, Redis, MongoDB
- Service Bus: SonicMQ, SonicESB, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ
- Cloud Services: Akamai and Limelight CDN, Amazon AWS, Openstack
- Monitoring/Performance Analysis: Nagios, Cacti, Gomez, Splunk, Graphite, Collectd
- Configuration Management: CFEngine (2), Puppet, Chef, Spacewalk, WSUS, Anisble, Docker, Terraform
- Security: Arcsight Log Collectors, Syslog-ng, Qualys, Cyberark, Tripwire
Verve Wireless (January 2010 - August 2010)
Director of Networking
- Responsible for overall service availability, maintaining 99.9% uptime.
- Established service management guidelines with development and business teams:
- Service Level Agreements,
- Deployment guidelines,
- Incident management guidelines.
- Provisioned network and server infrastructure.
- Implemented load balancer management API to expedite deployments.
- Worked with development team for:
- Feature developement and rollout,
- Feature scalability,
- Incident response.
Sony Computer Entertainment America (July 2004 - December 2009)
Manager, Hosting Integration Services (July 2009 - December 2009)
- Manage 3 Hosting Engineers (Systems/Application Administrator)
- Responsible for organizational transition between a Professional Services and an Operations group.
- Coordinate international delivery of online gaming services.
- Plan and coordinate cost saving server reductions.
- Institute a culture of review and continuous improvement.
- Daily activity SCRUMM-like meetings.
- Weekly tech talks.
- Regular setup and deployment reviews.
Staff Unix Systems Administrator (June 2006 - July 2009)
Senior Systems Administrator (March 2006 - June 2006)
Systems Administrator (July 2004 - March 2006)
- Responsible for maintaining, developing, and documenting a homogeneous network of Linux Servers for Online Gaming and Infrastructure Services.
- Manage over 2500 servers in 3 primary locations and 3 secondary international locations.
- Architected a multitenant application environment with 40 public, private, and administrative networks across multiple datacenters.
- Manage content delivery via LimeLight CDN.
- Responsible for requirements gathering, capacity planning, server specification, ordering and colocation.
- Developed a server deployment/management system fit for QA processes.
- Published as MOOBI at LISA ‘07
- Introduce MySQL into the environment.
- Grew to over 50 master/slave pairs.
- Setup replication, and backups on NetApp Filers.
- Introduce Puppet configuration management system into the environment.
- Investigate, pilot, and rollout of Puppet
- Augment Puppet base with reporting mechanisms.
- Mentored 5 other unix administrators, and several desktop support and application administrators.
- Mix of unix tools and programming (python and ruby).
- Wrote a multiuser password management system.
- Wrote a basic inventory management system.
- Wrote a federated web services infrastructure for administrative systems.
- Regularly troubleshoot Apache, PHP, Tomcat, Java RMI, Ruby/Rails, and internally developed application platforms.
- Participate in adoption of Global Information Security Policy.
- Responsible for maintaining Active Directory infrastructure for 1000 users.
University of Chicago Division of Biological Sciences Information Services (June 2002 - June 2004)
Enterprise Systems Administrator
- Responsible for maintaining, developing, and documenting a heterogeneous network of servers(Solaris, Linux, Windows NT/2000/2003) to provide network services infrastructure for over 1000 users.
- Planned, implemented, and managed cost-effective, business-driven solutions, including:
- Robust multi-system mail cluster using Sendmail, MIMEDefang, SpamAssassin, uvscan, and Cyrus IMAPD,
- High-availability enabled file sharing infrastructure using Veritas Foundation Suite, Veritas Cluster Server, and Samba server,
- Resilient authentication infrastructure using OpenLDAP.
- Established internal communication, documentation, system build, and performance gathering processes:
- Secure instant messaging system using Jabber,
- Active documentation set using TWiki,
- Documentation standard formats,
- System performance statistics using RRDTool, and Apache/WebDAV,
- System build standards and repository,
- Usage reporting of metered network services.
- Participated in identity management technical task force to help resolve security and usage issues between the BSD, the rest of the University, and the University Hospitals.
- Developed database backed system administration interfaces for infrastructure using PHP, Perl, Java.
- Developed network and system security plan for HIPAA compliance.
- Provided technology consulting for various departmental projects.
- Mentored 2 junior unix administrators, and several desktop support administrators.
Unix Systems Administrator - Department of Human Genetics
- Planned, purchased, and implemented 30 node mixed(Solaris and Linux) computational cluster.
- Programmed C and Java code for scientific computing applications.
- Developed standard builds for Linux and Solaris servers and workstations.
- Performed standard desktop and workstation end user support.
ArsDigita Corporation (April 2000 - February 2002)
Senior Unix Systems and Network Administrator/Oracle DBA
- Responsible for overall architecture, implementation, decommissioning of ArsDigita production hosting environment.
- Responsible for move of 50 web, 10 database, and 10 internal mail/file servers from Exodus Communications Waltham Collocation facility to Worldcom Billerica Collocation facility.
- Administered DNS infrastructure using bind.
- Administered mail infrastructure using Sendmail and Cyrus IMAPD.
- Administered file sharing infrastructure using OpenAFS.
- Provided 24x7 on-call third tier support for production hosting environment consisting of more than 50 Sun Solaris database and web servers, Cisco network infrastructure equipment, and F5 load balancers.
- Provided systems and database integration advice, and development support for ArsDigita Enterprise Community System(has become RedHat CMS)
- Maintained IPSec VPN for 4 US locations
- Maintained outsourced(Storage Networks) SAN and network backup solution.
- Wrote and maintained RMAN backup scripts for Oracle databases.
- Analyzed, created, and maintained indexes for Oracle databases.
Junior Systems Administrator
- Performed regular server administration tasks including accounts administration, mail administration, and backup/restore activities.
- Provided standard desktop end user support.
- Provided 24x7 second tier support for production hosting environment.
- Made significant enhancements for several web clients using AOLServer and the ArsDigita Toolkit.
MIT Media Lab (October 1996 - March 2000)
Undergraduate/Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant
- Co-authored Vision Television - a responsive, networked video environment.
- Designed/developed a laser based video projector
- Several other reconfigurable hardware projects for video stream processing.
- Assisted in teaching of graduate level signals and systems course.
- Administered a small set of HP-UX and Tru64 Alpha systems for research group.
MIT Information Systems (March 1999 - June 2001)
Residential Computer Consultant and Developer
- Developed database backed web server for case tracking, and administered the machine housing it.
- Assisted dormitory users with networking and general computer support.
B.S. Computer Science and Electrical Engineering (June 2000)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
- League of Professional Systems Administrators
- LISA Program Committee 2008, 2009
- DEF CON Network Operations
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Unix Users Association of America
- Configuration Management Roundtable Participant
- San Diego Ruby Users